Xiaomi has today introduced yet another smartphone under its fifth-generation Redmi lineup in China. It’s called the “Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera)” which, yeah, is certainly not going to help their increasingly confusing portfolio. The phone seems like an upgraded Redmi Note 5 Pro with a handful of significant upgrades. It starts at a price of RMB 1099 ($173) and will go on sale in China from this month’s 20th.
The Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera) shares a slew of similarities with the Redmi Note 5 Pro which was launched in India a few weeks ago. To begin with, both of them have the same design as well as build and feature a 5.99-inch Full HD+ screen on the front with an aspect ratio of 18:9. In addition to that, both the phones are powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 636 chipset, up to 6GB of RAM, 32/64GB of onboard storage which is expandable, and a 4000mAh battery. However, unlike the Redmi 5 Pro, the Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Cam) is officially compatible with Quick Charge 3.0.
Furthermore, the cameras have been slightly tweaked too. While both of them carry a 12MP+5MP rear setup, the Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera) has a better primary sensor thanks to the larger f/1.9 aperture (f/2.2 on the Redmi Note 5 Pro) and 1.4μm pixel size. On the front, however, you’ll find a downgraded 13-megapixel snapper instead of the Redmi Note 5 Pro’s 20-megapixel lens. The new Redmi Note 5 also benefits from the dual-pixel PDAF technology which should theoretically lead to quicker focus speeds. One of the more surprising changes is the presence of Android Oreo 8.1 which is even compatible with Google’s Treble architecture. The MIUI version is the same, though. Another feature Xiaomi has added in the new Redmi Note 5 is Dual 4G VoLTE which will let you run two simultaneous 4G connections.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera) comes in four color options — Black, Blue, Gold, and Rose Gold colors. The base variant which features 3GB of RAM, 32GB storage costs 1099 yuan ($173 / Rs 11,270), the 4GB RAM+64GB storage model is priced at ($221 / Rs 14,345), and lastly, the 6GB RAM variant will be available for 1699 yuan ($268 / Rs 17,420).
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (AI Dual Camera) Specifications
- Dimensions: 158.6×75.4×8.05mm; Weight: 181g
- 5.99-inch (2160 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:9 display. 2.5D curved glass, 450 nits Brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 14nm Octa-Core Mobile Platform clocked at 1.8GHz, Adreno 509 GPU
- 3/4/6GB RAM, 32/64GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9
- Primary Rear Camera: 12MP, dual-tone LED Flash, 1.25μm pixel size, f/1.9 aperture, PDAF
- Secondary Rear Camera: 5MP, 1.12μm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture
- Front Camera: 13MP, LED flash, 1080p video recording
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery, Quick Charge 3.0